90% of photo restoration is using the clone stamp tool and healing brush which you already practice in the last lesson. The next phase is the combine selections in order to target specific areas. Dust & Scratch removal under Filters>Noise is an effective tool in restoring old photos.
You can import directly from Photoshop Elements Editor or the Organizer. In the Editor just choose File>Import>WIA Support…
Published on May 31, 2015
Remove a color cast using Auto Color
Auto Color adjusts the contrast and color of an image by searching the image to identify shadows, midtones, and highlights. By default, Auto Color neutralizes the mid-tones using a target color of RGB 128 gray and clips the shadows and highlight pixels by 0.5%. You can change these defaults in the Auto Color Correction Options dialog box.
Do one of the following:-
- Click the Levels or Curves icon in the Adjustments panel.
- Choose Layer – New Adjustment Layer and choose either Levels or Curves. Click OK in the New Layer dialog box. You can also choose Image – Auto Color to apply the adjustment directly to the image layer. Keep in mind that this method discards image information and is automatic. You cannot adjust any of the options in the following steps.
- In the Properties panel, Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the Auto button.
- Under Algorithms in the Auto Color Correction Options dialog box, select the Find Dark & Light colors option.
- Select the Snap Neutral Midtones option.
- Specify the shadows and highlights that are clipped, and adjust the target color for the mid-tones.
- Click OK to apply Auto Color.
Although this is a Photoshop Lesson, you can use the Levels or Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer instead of Brightness Contract as shown in the lesson.
Shift + : cycle through the blend mode, use Shift – to reverse
Using Blend Mode to Increase Contrast and Colorize
Colorize a B/W
The secret is to play around with Blend Modes and Opacity. The most popular Blend Modes for Black & White Colorization are: Overlay, Softlight & Color.
Tips: Two methods to create a solid fill layer in Elements:
1. Click on the Adjustment Layer icon in the layers panel. Select Solid Color…
2. Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color>OK, then choose a color from the color selector dialog.
The advantage of creating a color file layer is that it is very easy to modify the color just by double-clicking on the Fill Layer Thumbnail in the Layers Panel.
Photoshop Elements works with WIA ( Windows Image Acquisition ) compatible scanners. WIA is a proprietary Microsoft driver model and application programming interface (API) for Microsoft Windows that enables graphics software such as Photoshop to communicate with imaging hardware such as scanners,
For this project, I want you to use your own photos from your family archive. I received this photo from a friend of his great great grand father in front of the White House in 1901.
Allway pick the highest setting- at least 600 dpi.